Pages

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Diaper Rash

The other day one of my friends had a new baby.  In my care-package to my friend and his wife I sent some stuff to help with diaper rash.  What new, fancy expensive, magic compound did I send? 

Well what I sent was neither new, fancy nor expensive but it does work like magic.  I sent a packet of Domboro Powder.  Domboro solution goes back to the 1950's.  A single packet will last most newborns a lifetime and a box of 10 packets costs less than $10. 

All you need to do is to mix one packet into 16 ounces of water and shake.  When the child has a diaper rash, soak a gauze in the medicated water.  Stick the gauze on the rashy part of your child's bottom and change with each diaper change till the rash is gone.  Once resolved, apply Vaseline, desitin or zinc oxide paste to prevent a re-eruption of the rash.

Rashes that don't respond promptly may be something other than typical diaper rash so check with your doctor, some of these other rashes are dangerous so don't wait too long to seek proper medical attention.

Kevin M. Windisch MD, FAAP
Sparks Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine
(775) 359-7111
975 Roberta Lane, suite 101 B, Sparks, NV 89431.
www.facebook.com/sparkspeds.nv